Meeting is necessary part of business activities because it is necessary to find out the solution of different problems. When you attempt to hold a meeting the first most important thing that you have to consider is meeting agenda. It should be prepared before meeting and sent to all attendees before time so that they can examine the topic of meeting. Meeting agenda should highlight the purpose of meeting and necessary decisions to be made. Without well written meeting agenda, you cannot get focus of attendees and in this situation you cannot get desired results. Meeting agenda is necessary requirement for formal meetings to address specific issues that need attention and solution.
Five Important Parts of Meeting Agenda
Agenda is just like roadmap for meeting so it is necessary to prepare it with all essential contents. It should direct participants of meeting toward right track. Today I will tell you 5 things not to forget in meeting agendas:
- Commencement and ending time of meeting.
- Location of meeting.
- Topic headings with some topic detail for each heading.
- Approximate time for each topic to cover.
- Indicate your expectations with meeting participants.
Layout of Meeting Agenda
Agenda usually start with time, date and location of meeting followed by all other details. Typical meeting agenda is designed on following layout:
- Meeting agenda starts with opening remarks and opening words of the meeting secretary.
- Approve minutes of previous meetings.
- Apologize for absence.
- Remaining matters of previous meeting and some issues arises from previous meeting.
- List of specific points to be discussed. (This section is where the bulk of the discussion as well as decisions in the meeting take place.)
- Any other business (AOB). (A specific time is allocated to participants to raise another point for discussion).
- Arrange and announce details of next meeting.
- Close meeting.
While writing meeting agenda, it is best to request contents from meeting attendees. It will benefit you in two ways; you will get most important issues or points to be addressed in meeting and people you may consult will feel important. It is good to give some time to people to reply so take this step as early as possible. You can send an email to these people and the better way is to send them agenda to give a better idea about subject matter and meeting topics. Meeting agenda should contain certain amount of general information in the section of heading. After completing agenda, distribute its copies to all meeting attendees.