If you want to depict your project status report visually, you will use project dashboard to put your proposal into shape. Project dashboard provides a way of coordinating the execution of a project plan together with tasks and tools. It is a medium for communicating the status of a project in a concise and effective manner. Project dashboard involves many pages. Tasks pages of project dashboard let project participants to enter status information about various tasks involved in project. If you are willing to take a view of this document, you can view Project Dashboard Template.
Project dashboard serves as a snapshot of your project without spending a great deal of time in all details including project status report. Before start making your project dashboard, some key considerations must be analyzed to prepare a perfect project dashboard:
- You are initially required to estimate your time period. You are required to determine about reporting period to be depicted in dashboard of your project and it can be varied depending on your project size. For instance, you can consider the options like one-month long project might have a weekly dashboard while a project of six-months might have a fortnightly dashboard.
- Milestones are integral part of your project dashboard. You have to decide about which of these you want to add in your dashboard. Keep in mind while taking decision about these milestones that key purpose of making dashboard is to present status of your project in a glimpse. For this reason, you should consider to add major project milestones rather than including each and every milestone.
- Don’t forget to add snapshots of project resource scheduling and project resource allocation. These will be added as essentials of your dashboard.
- Project dashboard should provide a précised view of endeavor and schedule variance by indicating project performance. This should also contain major project risks for which support of top management might be needed for contingency planning.
You can also this dashboard along with Project Timetable template that can outline overall project’s time frame. If you keep in your mind some key features of a project dashboard, it will also assist you making your dashboard a complete document:
- Your prepared project dashboard must be easy to use and understand underlying project status. Facilities of entering data and making modifications without much effort should be prominent features of your project dashboard.
- If you have used some specific software to make your project dashboard, make it sure that your prepared dashboard is ready to integrated with other project management tools for instance Microsoft Project.
- Dashboard of your project must be easy to access for those who might want to see it any time. You should share your dashboard using some internet/intranet location to make it accessible.